Dialectical Journal Rubric A Push Long Essay
The summer reading selection is Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. After reading the novel, you are responsible for completing the summer reading assignment below. As you read the novel, you must complete a dialectic journal (Please see the detailed directions below).
What is a dialectical journal?
- Simply put, “dialectical” means “the art or practice of arriving at the truth by the exchange of logical arguments” (dictionary.com). A dialectical journal, then, is used to arrive at the “truth” of a written work through the written response to quotations from that work.
- A dialectic journal is completed as you read the book. Do not wait until you finish the book.
FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS.
How many quotations should I have?
12 total quotes for the entire assignment
Section 1: 3 quotations from chapters 2-6 analyzed in two paragraphs
Section 2: 3 quotations from chapters 7-13 analyzed in two paragraphs
Section 3: 3 quotations from chapters 14-20 analyzed in two paragraphs
Section 4: 3 quotations from chapters 21-31 analyzed in two paragraphs
See sample document on left - updated 6/28/2104.
Make sure you format long/short quotes correctly as noted at the links below.
Learn how to format both a short and long quote using OWL - the University of Purdue's Online Writing Lab.
Learn how to format a quote within a quote on OWL's Extended Rules of Quotation Marks
How long should my responses be?
- Each quote must be analyzed within at least 2 paragraphs.
- First paragraph: Discuss the quote in relation the characters and plot. After each response, you shhould indicate whether you feel your analysis falls into the category of:
- Making a Connection
- Making a Prediction
- Asking a Question
- Extending the Meaning
- Challenging the Text
- Second paragraph: Now, discuss this quote in relation to the author and what the author is trying to get across to the reader. YOU MUST INCLUDE VOCABULARY FROM THE ELEMENTS OF FICTION HANDOUT.
See definition of the above terms in the PDF document found in the right column of this page.
What exactly constitutes a quotation?
· A quotation can be narration OR dialogue. You are NOT limited just to what the characters say.
What kinds of quotations should I choose and what should I write about?
· Find passages that you think help us better understand the author’s subject matter, characterizations, attitude, and especially THEMES (messages/”big ideas”). If you find yourself simply repeating what the quotation says, you might want to select a different quotation or reevaluate how you are approaching the response. NO SUMMARIES!
PICK THE MOST IMPORTANT QUOTE FROM THAT SECTION. AS YOU READ EACH SECTION, MAKE A NOTE OF ALL THE IMPORTANT QUOTES. AFTER READING THE ENTIRE SECTION, PICK THE BEST QUOTE – THE MOST SIGNIFICANT.
What format should I use?
- Use the left side of the double column notes to copy a significant quote with its page number.
- Use the right column to react to, interpret, or ask a question about that quote.
- All work should be typed and each paragraph must be indented. You must also save a copy of your work electronically. If, for any reason, an additional copy of your work is needed, you will be able to access your saved document.
- Use 12 point font and one-inch margins.
- Refer to the grading rubric (on left) and proofread all work before you turn it in!
- Be sure to punctuate quotes properly, especially a quote within a quote.
When is this due?
· Those students who have English first semester can just bring the summer reading assignment to class. Those students who have English second semester can bring the assignment to Mrs. Melone’s room - 211 or Mrs. Thiel room TBA.
All work must be completed before the first day of school
Мгновение спустя она, спотыкаясь, карабкалась вверх по ступенькам, совершенно забыв о таящейся внизу опасности. Она двигалась вслепую, скользя на гладких ступеньках, и скопившаяся влага капала на нее дождем. Ей казалось, что пар буквально выталкивает ее наверх, через аварийный люк. Оказавшись наконец в шифровалке, Сьюзан почувствовала, как на нее волнами накатывает прохладный воздух.