Physical Fitness Importance Essay Help
For maximum realization of human potential, interplay between health, wellness, and fitness is essential. Health refers to a state of complete mental, physical, and social well-being, and not just in absence of infirmity or diseases. Wellness refers to condition of physical and mental health. Fitness refers to a quality that enables someone to carry out a certain role or task. The topic will be essential in exploring the importance carried by the interaction between health, wellness, and fitness in people. The paper will start by discussing health, its dimensions, and the factors influencing it. After health, wellness will be discussed in regards to the descriptions, the dimensions of wellness, and the factors influencing it. Physical fitness will also be discussed, and then lastly the value of having health, wellness, and physical fitness.
Health, according to World Health Organization, refers to a state of complete mental, physical, and social well-being, and not just in absence of infirmity or diseases. The dimensions of health include physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and social. I think physical health refers to the state the body is in regarding its compositions, functions, development, and maintenance. The intellectual dimension is the ability to come up with skills and knowledge essential in enhancing our life. The emotional dimension means one’s ability in accepting and coping with their situation, and the feelings of others. Social dimension refers to the ability in building and maintaining relationships that satisfy our needs naturally. This is vital because we are social beings. Spiritual dimension refers to our ability to search for the purpose, and meaning of life (MD-Health.com, 2013).
Factors influencing our health include the economic and social environment, our individual behaviors and characteristics, and the physical environment. The economic factors affect our choices regarding health. The rich can easily access vital services that can help transform health status. Issues explored regarding the physical environment include clean water and air, healthy work environments, good roads, and safe houses with favorable neighborhoods. The individual behaviors for instance social networks are associated with good health. The genetic aspect, as well as the gender aspect are associated with our making, and are essential in determining our health. Accessibility to health services also influences our health in the sense that information and services regarding our health are readily available (MD-Health.com, 2013).
Wellness is defined as the condition or state of being in good mental and physical health. Every aspect of our wellness is affected by stress. The dimensions of wellness include social, spiritual, emotional, occupational, environmental, physical wellness, and intellectual well being. Social wellness refers to our ability in relating and connecting with the other people in our places. Emotional fulcrum is our ability to understand ourselves, and cope with challenges brought by life. Our ability to establish peace with ourselves is categorized as spiritual wellness. Recognizing our own responsibility regarding the quality of air, water, and land is entailed in environmental well being. Occupational wellness is our ability to get fulfillment from jobs or in the careers we choose. The ability to open our own minds to ideas that are new is inclusive in intellectual wellness. Physical wellness refers to our ability to maintain healthy quality of life that permits us to go on with our daily activities (University-of-California, 2012).
Factors influencing wellness include the health habits, family history, environment, access to health services, attitude, and media and technology. Health habits for instance smoking can lead to heart disease. Our daily health choices affect our level of health. The family history plays a role in pre disposition to a wide variety of conditions that affect our wellness. Examples of these conditions include heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. The physical environment refers to the things that we get exposed to in our work places, schools, and the general environment. They include air, radiation, water, sounds, crime, and recreational facilities. Our access to health services for instance vaccination, screening, and early treatment is essential in improving our quality of life. Our attitude, for instance optimism affects wellness by interacting with our decisions (University-of-California, 2012).
Physical fitness refers to being in good physical condition sometimes referred to as being in condition or in shape. The health related factors to physical fitness include muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, flexibly, and body composition. Muscular strength is the ability of our muscles to exert maximal force in a given motion range. Muscular endurance is the ability of muscles to exert sub maximal force through a certain range of motion, or at a certain point over a specified period of time. Cardiovascular endurance refers to the ability to go on with training of the system over a longer period of time. The ability of a joint to move through full motion range is called flexibility. Body composition is the ratio of lean mass of body to the fat body mass. The skills related factors to physical fitness include speed, agility, power, co ordination, balance, and reaction times (Hoeger & Sharon, 2011).
The Value of Having Health, Wellness, and Physical Fitness
The interaction between health wellness is quite essential in our lives because of many benefits that encapsulate. They include reduced risk of premature death, reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, decrease in resting heart rate, regulation of normal blood pressure, decrease in body fat, increase in HDL and decrease in LDL, and reduced risk of diabetes. Other benefits we gain include joint stability, strengthened bones, increase in muscle mass, increase in resting metabolism, improved core strength, improved balance and coordination, improved body image and self-esteem, reduced depression, and stress management (Sharkey & Gaskill, 2006).
How to Maintain Your Body Healthy, Well and Fit
It is of crucial importance that we maintain our bodies healthy, well, and fit. Measures in maintaining our bodies healthy, well, and fit include engagement in aerobic exercise daily. The exercises increase our stamina and heart health. Another measure is choosing nutritious foods that offer minerals, vitamins, and elements to the body for optimal running. Lifting weight also offers us a way of trimming fat, increasing muscle mass, and boosting the immune system. Reducing stress is also an important option in shaping the health of our minds. Stress leads us to eat for comfort, overeat, sink onto depression, and avoid exercise. These attributes are not favorable to good health. It is vital for us to meet with friends or join community groups in order to maintain good health (Hoeger & Sharon, 2011).
For maximum realization of human potential, interplay between health, wellness, and fitness is essential. Several factors as explored here above are important in determining health, wellness, and fitness in our lives. There seems to be a closer relation between wellness and health, as well as the factors that affect the components. There is also an enormous value in maintaining fitness in regards to the health status attained. Stress needs to be avoided for attainment of highest level of wellness, health, and physical activity.
Hoeger, W. &. Sharon, H.A. (2011). Principles and labs for physical fitness (Available titles diet analysis plus available titles diet an). New York, NY: Brooks Cole.
MD-Health.com. (2013, march). Dimensions of health. Retrieved from http://www.md- health.com/Dimensions-Of-Health.html
Sharkey, B., &. Gaskill, S. (2006). Fitness & health. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
University-of-California. (2012, september 27). Wellness: Seven dimensions of wellness. Retrieved from http://wellness.ucr.edu/seven_dimensions.html
The benefits of physical fitness are numerous and include better health, greater strength, more flexibility, increased energy, improved appearance, and a more positive attitude and mood. Regular exercise can lead to both immediate and long-term benefits. Regular physical activity has been shown to reduce the morbidity and mortality from many chronic diseases. The benefits of fitness far outweigh the inconveniences of regular exercise. To reap the maximum benefits of physical fitness, remember that your program should include all the main five components of physical fitness.
These are the health related fitness components like cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, muscular endurance and muscle strength. There are in fact other components of physical fitness but they are skill related and less important. Physical fitness is considered a measure of the body’s ability to function efficiently and effectively in work and leisure activities, to be healthy, to resist hypo kinetic diseases, and to meet emergency situations. Physical fitness is generally achieved through • physical activity and exercise, • correct nutrition, • enough rest (good quality sleep), • Stress management and relaxation.
The benefit of the physical fitness is endless. Explore some of the benefits of fitness leading to healthy lifestyle and learn how you will get benefited from them:
1: Reduces risk of disease People who participate in regular exercise have a decreased risk of developing:
- heart disease
- metabolic syndrome
- colon cancer
- lung cancer
- breast cancer
2. Development of physical fitness components Development of physical fitness components such as muscle strength and endurance, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, agility, speed, bone density etc and improvement of muscle tone.
3. Provide better health Regular physical exercise increases both the size and strength of the heart. It can pump more blood with less effort and becomes more efficient. This will lower pulse and lower the blood pressure which can increase lifespan. The circulatory system is also improved because of increased blood volume providing more oxygen to the muscles. These effects will translate into a reduced risk for heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. Significant cardiovascular health benefits can be attained with long-term participation in cardiovascular exercise.
4. Lower your Cholesterol levels. The benefits of physical fitness extend to their ability to help you control your cholesterol. They raise your levels of ‘good’ cholesterol and drop your levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol.
5. Builds stronger Bones, Joints and Ligaments Physical activity results in the strengthening of our bones and muscles. It can substantially reduce the risk or arthritis and other bone diseases. Weight bearing exercise is shown to increase bone density and also prevent bone loss as we get older. This can reduce the onset and severity of osteoporosis. Resistance training does a great job. The strain that it puts on your body helps build bigger, stronger bones. Different kinds of strength training put strain on your joints. This actually helps your body strengthen connective tissue in those joints. These tissues become stronger, more flexible and less prone to injury. Increased blood supply means better nutrition for the tissues and better removal of waste products which helps improve the health and durability.
6. Maintenance of Optimal Body Weight Physical activity increases the muscle mass, reduces fat and thus controls weight. It is proven that physical fitness can control your body weight and prevent obesity and other weight-related problems. By combining the right physical workouts with a proper and balanced diet, you can expect weight loss, reduced body fat and a more firm and fit body. Aerobic exercise burns calories during the duration of the exercise and strength training burns calories in the 24 hour period following the training.
7. Improves your sleeping habits One of the benefits of physical fitness is that it provides you sound sleep and improves your sleeping habits. Studies show that people who exercise regularly and are physically fit – fall asleep more easily and sleep longer than those who do not exercise and are physically unfit. Because of cooling off after exercise, your body temperature drops leading to deeper sleep.
8. Boost in energy level Exercise improves the blood flow in the body and promotes better sleep, both of which boost energy. A regular exercise program, especially in the mornings, will give you energy and drive for the rest of the day. This effect is related to the increased metabolism associated with a fitter body.
9. Improved Appearance Physical activity build muscle mass and burns excess fat. It tones body muscles helping you to look fit and healthy. Healthy active people almost always have great skin tone and look fresh, less fatigued.
10. Relaxation and Stress relief There are so many stress factors in our day to day life. Because of lifestyle changes, change in the environment, people live under extreme stress in this competitive world. Regular physical activity, fitness workouts releases the hormones which have “feel good factor. ”It helps in reducing your stress levels and gives you more strength to fight life’s challenges.
11. Fights Depression Effects of physical activity and exercise on mood are immediate. Blood flow to the brain is increased, endorphins are released and your mood lifts. These endorphins make you feel better and fight stress and depression.
12. Causes Delayed Aging Among the several benefits of physical fitness, delayed aging leading to positive thinking and improved self perception is the most sought after. Regular physical activity reverses the natural decline in the metabolism of the body. Daily exercise is found to keep a person productive and energetic for a longer period of the day. Regular physical activity postpones the process of aging and increases the longevity of life.
13. Makes you feel happier Physical activity has important role in keeping your body fit. Exercise causes your body to release endorphins which has a “feel good factor”. Because of these endorphins you feel happier.
14. Postpones fatigue The benefits of physical fitness include the postponement of fatigue and reduced recovery time after vigorous activity.
15. Boost your Confidence Physical fitness provides correct posture, figure, body image, and good appearance along with increased energy levels. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, which is a boost to confidence.
16. Utilization of Time Through Participation in physical fitness program, leisure (free) time is properly utilized and make you fit and healthy.
17. Improve your overall health.
Physical fitness provides you the optimum physical health, general well being and mental stability. In other words it improves your overall health and you can live your life to the fullest. 18. Healthier, longer Life All together, the benefits of physical fitness give you healthy and more efficient body. Thus it increases your chance of leading a healthier, longer and more fulfilling life. These are some of the more prominent benefits of physical fitness. Everyone can and should participate in a fitness program to improve their quality of life. Living an active and healthy life will make your overall lifestyle much better.
WE WILL WRITE A CUSTOM ESSAY SAMPLE ON
ANY TOPIC SPECIFICALLY
FOR ONLY $13.90/PAGEWrite my sample